Help With Rising Energy Costs

05 May 2022

Help With Rising Energy Costs

The impact is already biting for the SMA Community, many of whom find it hard to keep warm and who rely on energy to power essential equipment. The following links give information about what schemes and grants are out there and also offer other advice.

Schemes and Grants

  • Ofgem: Help with high energy bills including where to get advice, payment plans, schemes, grants and benefits, and debt support.
  • Charis: recommended by Ofgem for individuals -  guidance, grant & benefits eligibility checks and will support you through applications.
  • Council tax rebate if you’re responsible for paying council tax and your home is in Bands A - D, you should receive an automatic refund of £150. If your home is in a higher band and you’re on a low income it may also be possible to claim a rebate. If you’re a tenant, talk to you landlord. Find your local council.
  • Pre-payment meters – you may be able to claim temporary credit if you can’t afford to top up your meter. For more information see this Citizens Advice page.
  • Fuel Bank Foundation: Help for individuals

Other organisations offering advice: